Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Deoxt

Jeff Liebermann wrote:

I also found that I can make things worse
by mixing my own and using too much oleic acid. It will not attack
gold or silver plated contacts, so those are safe. So, if you're
using the old stuff with oleic acid, wash off the contacts with
alcohol after you've removed the black silver oxide coating.

** The dark coating that forms on silver is *silver sulphate* (aka Ag2S).

Luckily it is quite soft and wears off switch contacts in normal use so a build up may occur which can be flushed clean with products like WD40.

The idea of using oleic acid on electrical contacts worries as it must become conductive under enough voltage.

..... Phil