Jason D.

Default RCA Proscan 27" TV no vertical

On Thu, 12 Feb 2004 02:04:25 GMT, "James Sweet"
wrote:

"Mike" wrote in message
of all the TVs i have seen, when the IC goes, it takes out the B+ supply.

so
you tell me.

Most do that, I have however come across failed IC's without shorting,
either way the capacitors need replacing.

Ditto here, not just RCA. I see that like this in other brands like
JVC (frequently cooks cap then vertical IC dies because of too small
heatsink, either steel Baaaaad!, or aluminum), Panasonic, Samsung etc.
Sometimes takes out vertical supply diode (from flyback transformer).

If it is my TV and being tv tech, I'd oversize the vertical heatsink.
To others, do you do this?

I wondered what IC maker designed this LA7832, LA7838 etc package
style doesn't look good for heavy duty heat transfer, so tiny die pad
and thin also and off center from mounting hole. Looks like this
requires special clamp to squeeze the die pad & heatsink evenly.
(thick bars & pair of bolts & nuts will do nicely).

I like the type used TO-220 (TDA8172), AN5521 (two hole w/ thick tab)
etc. TDA8350Q but lousy vertical design.

Or use a switching techinque applied to vertical sweep would be
better. RCA did similar idea with CTC168/CTC169. But I would like to
see this brought up to date and needs no heatsink or small one.

Cheers,

Wizard