Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Deoxt

When in doubt, put some Deoxit on a Qtip and rub the plastic body of the switch. Check it for any softening. Try to scratch it with a dental pick. Then try to scratch an untouched one.

The danger is not to the contacts. I have seen acetone and Qdope thinner (which is toluene) do some very nasty things to plastic. If Deoxit has either in it you might be much better off sticking with the alcohol. Plus, Deoxit uses a chemical known as a reducer which actually uncorrodes the metal - thus the name. I really do ot know about the properties of that stuff.