Posted to uk.d-i-y
Weatherlawyer Weatherlawyer is offline

Default The Jet Engine

On Monday, 11 July 2016 21:29:02 UTC+1, rick wrote:
On 7/11/2016 9:44 AM, Weatherlawyer wrote:
BTW, Whittle initially used petrol as fuel, before changing to
paraffin. That's better known outside the UK as kerosene.

Someone on here thinks he knows about Jet Engines. Besides quoting
Wikipedia at the rest of us are there any on here that actually do
know a thing or two about them for I would love to learn more.

I recently read Stanley Hooker's autobiography on them (twice) but he
left great gaps in the narrative. Some things are self explanatory,
to the expert, that leave most of us lost and disenchanted.

There are a couple of good groups that might be worth joining ... tends
to be people building their own jets ... the videos are very entertaining.
Often using old turbo chargers and truck exhausts.

I did a lot of looking around in the past about pulse jets .... here is
one such diy job
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EEHw9lInIfg

The overheating problem was the second thing they had to overcome once they sorted the compressor out. If the maker of that engine had put wa water methanol mixture in it like they used in boosted merlins, it would have run cheaper safer longer.

Maybe there is a law prohibiting the use of different nozzles in jet aircraft that would have prevented them using number 6 (but number 4 mixed would have been OK) if only I'd been there to get them to try it -or to plug a turnip into it.