Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default The Jet Engine

In article ,
RayL12 wrote:
I don't know a great deal, but I do know that jets don't care what fuel
they're run on, as long as it is delivered correctly. I have taken part
in testing generator sets with the industrial version of the Rolls-Royce
RB-211 (has only two compressor/turbine spools instead of the three of
the aviation version). They were set up with two sets of fueling
nozzles, so as to start up on diesel (120 litres a minutes at full load
of 24MW IIRC - it was 20 years ago) and once running, the power could be
used to run the North-sea rig they were on and as production started,
they'd switch over to running on natural gas from the well.

I was astounded when I was told that Bloodhound(?) used a Formula 1
engine to deliver the fuel.

I'd be surprised. They are not designed for a long service life. Rebuilt
after every race.

--
*It's lonely at the top, but you eat better.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.