Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default The Jet Engine

On 11/07/16 14:44, Steve Walker wrote:
On 11/07/2016 09:44, Weatherlawyer wrote:
BTW, Whittle initially used petrol as fuel, before changing to
paraffin. That's better known outside the UK as kerosene.

Someone on here thinks he knows about Jet Engines. Besides quoting
Wikipedia at the rest of us are there any on here that actually do
know a thing or two about them for I would love to learn more.

I recently read Stanley Hooker's autobiography on them (twice) but he
left great gaps in the narrative. Some things are self explanatory, to
the expert, that leave most of us lost and disenchanted.

I don't know a great deal, but I do know that jets don't care what fuel
they're run on, as long as it is delivered correctly. I have taken part
in testing generator sets with the industrial version of the Rolls-Royce
RB-211 (has only two compressor/turbine spools instead of the three of
the aviation version). They were set up with two sets of fueling
nozzles, so as to start up on diesel (120 litres a minutes at full load
of 24MW IIRC - it was 20 years ago) and once running, the power could be
used to run the North-sea rig they were on and as production started,
they'd switch over to running on natural gas from the well.

Your post indicates that they do in fact care, and need different
nozzles for different fuels

--
€œit should be clear by now to everyone that activist environmentalism
about their freedom, about the relationship between the individual and

Vaclav Klaus