Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] szeik@hotmail.com is offline

Default Weak freezer door gasket

We have a GE Profile Model PSHS6RGXCDSS and I think the freezer door gasket needs to be replaced.

A few days ago I noticed all the ice pops were mushy so I looked at the temperature and the freezer was up to 19 degrees F. I took all the food out and coincidentally we had a power outage and the freezer made it back down to 6 degrees F so I reloaded it and it went back up to 11 degrees and overnight it managed to get back down to 0 degrees. I thought we were back in business.

I should mention that about a week ago someone left the freezer door open all night and there was lots of frost all over everything and I did read that the coils can become a block of ice when this happens and it might need a manual defrost.

Now I am noticing that during the day it goes back up to 6 degrees F and I am still seeing some mushy ice pops. In the morning it was at 0 degrees but it is already up to 4 degrees now at 8:30 a.m. I was opening the door a lot earlier looking at the gasket but it should be able to get back down to 0 and it is not able to do this until it has the entire night to work.

I noticed that the freezer door bounces open a bit when I close the fridge. It is also noticeably easier to open the door than the fridge side. So I am thinking that our problems are due to a weak gasket. It definitely does not have a strong pull anymore.

I realize it could also be a defrost timer or some other problem.

Does this sound like a weak gasket problem?

The part is only $65 but after reading a few posts it seems like a job that would be better left to a repairman with experience. Probably about a $300 repair. Around here they charge $95 just to show up.

Thanks for any advice on this problem.

Steve