Posted to uk.d-i-y
newshound newshound is offline

Default The Jet Engine

On 7/11/2016 9:44 AM, Weatherlawyer wrote:
BTW, Whittle initially used petrol as fuel, before changing to paraffin. That's better known outside the UK as kerosene.

Someone on here thinks he knows about Jet Engines. Besides quoting Wikipedia at the rest of us are there any on here that actually do know a thing or two about them for I would love to learn more.

I recently read Stanley Hooker's autobiography on them (twice) but he left great gaps in the narrative. Some things are self explanatory, to the expert, that leave most of us lost and disenchanted.

Catch this while it is still available

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01m81f5 (two episodes IIRC).

Some of the buildings where Whittle worked are, AFAIK, still part of the
AMEC site at Whetstone (formerly occupied by GEC). Typical 40's
blockwork single story buildings with Critall windows. Very like wartime
and post war RAF and other MOD sites.