Posted to alt.home.repair
bob_villain bob_villain is offline

Default broken piston rod

On Sunday, July 10, 2016 at 10:54:41 PM UTC-5, wrote:
On Sun, 10 Jul 2016 23:19:05 -0400, wrote:

On Sun, 10 Jul 2016 20:07:39 -0700 (PDT), Deodiaus
wrote:

I have a Honda 530 GXV engine for a riding mower with a broken piston rod (13200-Z0A-801). I found ones on the internet, but they go for $60, which is a lot for this. Does anyone have an idea of how close are the tolerances for other onces that I might find? If I go to a junk auto yard, do I have a reasonable chance of finding one in a car with the same dimensions, or do cars use much bigger ones? If I look around for lawn mowers, with a Honda engine, how much of a chance is there that I'd find one which fits, or are they really propriatary with custom dimensions.

Any 530GX rod will fit

A broken rod will USUALLY also require servicing the crank. If you are
lucky a bit of lye will disolve the aluminum off the crank and there
will be no damage to the crank - but don't count on it.

I used lye on an old 7 hp Tecumseh with a broken crank...I though I was the 1st! Damn! It polished-up real nice.