Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Solar Metals

On Sun, 10 Jul 2016 10:51:35 -0500, Jon Elson
wrote:

Ed Huntress wrote:

Galvanized fasteners are quite resistant to galvanic corrosion with
aluminum. And the steel underneath the zinc is also fairly benign with
aluminum. In fact, the aluminum will act like a sacrificial anode
against plain steel, but the activity will be very low. The zinc
barrier should hold up for a long time.

Depends on how acidic your rain is, of course. Some lightly galvanized
fittings are stripped down to the steel in a few years here.

I'm about 50 miles inland from the Pacific. The Coastal Range catches
almost all of the salt. There are no industries between me and the
coast, so my rain is pretty clean and neutral.

Hmm, is that afternoon rain puddle still out there? Nope.
My saliva is 5.75 tonight, though. Why waste a strip?

I'm curious to check it the next time it rains, though.

--
"Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force.
Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master."