Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default 200 quid for chips?

On Sun, 10 Jul 2016 12:08:58 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

snip

If you want healthy, don't eat chips at all.

I was watching something the other day and the suggestion was we (or
bodies) turn carbs like potato and bread straight to sugar and because
they don't also offer much else (in the way of vitamins or fiber) they
are considered 'empty calories'?

Along similar lines, when buying a sandwich out we to try to go for
stuff on 'multigrain' or 'wholemeal' (and not just 'brown') bread,
rather than say a white baguette because we believe the content to
bread ratio is higher (with a sandwich) and wholemeal is 'better' (not
so bad as it at least contains some fiber) than straight white? I have
also read that the grains we now use are grown for quantity not
quality so there isn't actually much in it?

I also read something about the 'viability' of the grain (if it could
actually grow if planted)?

I'd rather have decent chips once in a while than vastly inferior oven
chips often,

Agreed (although some oven chips can be ok).

We don't have a deep fat fryer (and haven't for many years) and would
rarely have chips at home of any form. We also don't fry much food,
preferring to bake, grill or microwave.

If we want some carbs with a meal and fancy potato for a change we
might first actually cook it in the microwave and then crisp it up in
the over with whatever we are cooking (and so eat the skins as a
slightly crispy treat). And we now only have half of a small / medium
baker between us, rather than one each.

I think in spite of getting smaller plates and trying to serve up
smaller (and better) portions, we were brought up to 'clear up your
plate' rather than stopping when you think you have had 'sufficient'.

Cheers, T i m