Posted to alt.home.repair
Snuffy \Hub Cap\ McKinney Snuffy \Hub Cap\ McKinney is offline

Default Mildew on clothes

"ItsJoanNotJoann" wrote in message ...
On Saturday, July 9, 2016 at 12:14:47 PM UTC-5, Snuffy "Hub Cap" McKinney wrote:

Well, the non-domesticated genius here left a load of towels in the warsher overnight and then hung them up to dry, and they now have this nice mildew smell. What's the best non-lethal treatment? Wash with vinegar? Chlorox (can't do this on the colored ones)....

Hep me before the lovely miseries gets home....

I don't think your towels are actually mildewed, sounds
more like they soured sitting in the washing machine after
spinning. Mildew has black spots whereas soured items just
have that awful soured smell. Rewashing them, NO BLEACH,
will remove that smell.

Thanks JNJ. These are old towels about ready for rags. Some have had the sour smell for several weeks. Tried washing and rewashing before with no success. I'll try adding vinegar and TSP, like I use when the washer starts smelling.