Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Suddenly Off Balance

graham wrote in :

On 7/8/2016 10:21 AM, Puckdropper wrote:

No, just a drive spur. Good suggestion.

I came to the conclusion that the piece I saved from the firewood
pile is best put back in it. The soft center went all the way
through the wood, which made it useless for turning tops.

Puckdropper

Have you ever used one of these drives or was your piece of wood too
small? http://tiny.cc/2t1scy
I haven't but they do seem to be preferable to conventional spur
drives in some circumstances.
Graham

My piece probably would have fit, but I just used spur with the many
smaller teeth. (Way better than the 4-point spur included with the
lathe.) I can see the benefits of that system, though, especially if
you're turning a soft wood that would tend to cam out fairly easily or if
your end cut is irregular.

Puckdropper