Posted to rec.woodworking
Bob Penoyer Bob Penoyer is offline

Default Bosch Fixed Base Design Flaw

On Thu, 05 May 2016 18:37:35 -0700, Bob Penoyer
wrote:

I have a Bosch RA1181 router table. I'm using the fixed base of my
MRC23EVSK router in the table.

The Bosch fixed base (MRF01) has a design flaw, I think. I wonder
about the best way to deal with it.

With the fixed base mounted upside down under the table's top, the
router motor placed in the mount, and the clamping lever loosened, all
of the weight of the motor is supported by the retaining snap ring
(e-clip) attached to the adjustment shaft. This is a very weak
mechanism.

The retaining clip (e-clip) is held in the adjustment shaft by a
shallow groove in the shaft. When the shaft is turned to adjust bit
height, the ring can--and does--slip out of the groove so support of
the motor is lost.

Has anyone else run into this problem? Did you find a way to avoid
this weakness?

I'm adding this post for anyone interested or anyone who has run into
the same problem. I've implemented a fix that has worked for me.

After removing the e-ring, I drilled out the threads of a 1/4" T-nut
using a 1/4" drill, then slipped the T-nut over the threaded shaft.

With the shaft correctly mounted in the base and the flange of the
T-nut against the flange that the e-ring rested against, scratch a
mark around the shaft where the other end of the T-nut sleeve meets
the shaft.

Now remove the shaft and the T-nut from the base.

Using my drill with a diamond cutting wheel (a few bucks for the wheel
from Harbor Freight), cut a groove around the shaft. Let the groove
extend from about 1/16" above the scratch mark to about 1/16" below
it. Cut the depth of the groove so that the final diameter of the
groove is about half the diameter of the shaft.

Using some abrasive, such as sandpaper, abrade the surface of the
shaft to roughen it.

Clean the shaft and the T-nut with acetone to remove all oils and
grease.

Assemble the shaft and T-nut back onto the base. When the shaft and
T-nut are seated properly, the sleeve of the T-nut should extend about
half-way across the width of the new groove. The other half of the
groove should be exposed.

Mix a two-part, 5-minute epoxy. Glop the epoxy onto the end of the
T-nut sleeve and into the groove on the shaft, being sure to get epoxy
completely into the groove, up under the end of the T-nut sleeve. Be
generous with the epoxy. Spread it thickly, including over the end of
the T-nut sleeve and on the shaft beyond the groove.

Patiently watch the assembly after the epoxy has been applied. Prevent
the epoxy from forming a drip on one side or wetting down the inside
of the T-nut sleeve. You don't want to epoxy the T-nut to the router
base, only the threaded shaft. If you've used 5-minute epoxy, it
should stiffen fairly quickly. Once that happens, allow at least 24
hours for the epoxy to cure.

The threaded shaft should now be held securely in the fixed base and
the router lift feature should work reliably.