Posted to alt.home.repair
Kendall Concrete Kendall Concrete is offline

Default Why Put gravel under concrete?

replying to Nonny, Kendall Concrete wrote:
I disagree with the WWM. I have replaced and poured concrete for over 30 years
and what we see is that concrete is going to crack no matter what you do. When
cracks occur in concrete containing WWM, moisture gets in and rusts away the
WWM within a year or so. I have torn out nicer looking concrete without WWM
than most with it. Another thing is that when we cut control joints in the
concrete, that causes controlled cracking which then rusts out the WWM. As
far as gravel under a slab draining water- What happens when there is nowhere
for the water to go? The gravel stays saturated. And again, I have torn out
some very nice sidewalks that had no gravel under them and some were 30 years
old and older.

--
posted from
http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...te-440616-.htm