Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.equipment,sci.electronics.repair,alt.engineering.electrical
mike[_22_] mike[_22_] is offline

Default Loose micro USB cables

On 7/6/2016 12:16 PM, sms wrote:
On 7/4/2016 7:16 PM, DaveC wrote:
A new cable works wonderfully. For maybe 6 weeks. Then when I use the
Samsung
phone while charging... "Beep-boop, beep-boop€¯, charge indicator on, off,
on, off. Over and over.

Replace cable, all is well.

Rinse, repeat.

Buying a new cable every month is not expensive but also not something
one
should have to do.

Yes, I've cleaned out the phone's connector of lint and debris.

I've seen instructions re. fixing the cable connector by bending the
tension
pins (external, bottom-side) but there are several types of tensioning
designs; not all are repairable, IME.

Anyone find a long-term fix, or quality cable that avoids this problem
altogether?

The highest quality cables I've found are the Fujitsu cables.
Unfortunately they are quite expensive, $1.80 each if you buy a lot of
10, once you pay shipping.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/182181176364

These are pretty large diameter cables because they use AWG 22 wire. The
sub-$1 cables use either all AWG 28, or use AWG 28 for D+ and D-, and
AWG 26 for power and ground.

Thanks for the link.
The large plastic on the small end may mean that they're less
susceptible to being torqued sideways in the socket.