Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Redneck coffee grinder

On Tuesday, July 5, 2016 at 1:03:15 PM UTC-4, Terry Coombs wrote:
DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Tuesday, July 5, 2016 at 9:42:12 AM UTC-4, (PeteCresswell) wrote:
Per Terry Coombs:
Or he/she could buy this one on ebay for 10 bucks delivered ...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Manual-Coffe...-/322178782554

Call me lazy, but I find that grinding by hand gets *really* old
*really* fast if you are doing more than a cup or so.
--
Pete Cresswell

Similar situation too much work/being lazy.

We recently tried a couple of different coffee makers that grind the
coffee just prior to brewing it. One was fairly fancy, with
customizable grind settings, brew strength options, etc. The other
was more basic - just grind and brew.

Both machines had one thing in common: they required extensive
cleaning after each use. The basket for the grounds has too many
nooks and crannies to allow for a quick dump of the filter/grounds
into the garbage. You have to rinse it with a sprayer from multiple
directions, then spray the grounds out of the sink, etc. That doesn't
include the nooks/crannies/chutes within the machine itself where
grounds can get stuck. The higher end machine had 3 different pieces
that had to be removed in order to perform a proper cleaning.

We went back to grinding a few days worth with a counter top electric
grinder and keeping the grounds in a sealed container. Sure, the
grinding does require some cleanup, but it's once every few days as
part of the grinding process, not the PITA clean-up that the other
machines required every day, sometimes twice a day.

I'm using a B&D electric burr grinder that's like 10 years or so old , a
10 second grind makes a 5 cup pot just the way I like it . When we were
cooking in the camper I'd grind enough for a couple of weeks at a time -
didn't want to wake the wife every morning . There's very little cleanup
involved with this unit . The OP wanted a cheap solution , I gave one ...

--
Snag

Is your B&D grinder built into the coffee maker or it is a separate unit?