Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.equipment,sci.electronics.repair,alt.engineering.electrical
mike[_22_] mike[_22_] is offline

Default Loose micro USB cables

On 7/4/2016 8:20 PM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
On Mon, 04 Jul 2016 19:16:48 -0700, DaveC wrote:

A new cable works wonderfully. For maybe 6 weeks. Then when I use the Samsung
phone while charging... "Beep-boop, beep-boop”, charge indicator on, off,
on, off. Over and over.

It's designed to destroy the cable instead of the connector in your
unspecified model Samsung phone. In previous mini-USB connector was a
problem because it would destroy the connector in the phone which
would be far more expensive than replacing the USB cable. The
improved micro-USB connector destroys the much cheaper USB cable. I
think I pay about $1/ea for cables.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/141558130661
You might want to stock up on cables.

These might explain the situation:
http://electronics.stackexchange.com/questions/18552/why-was-mini-usb-deprecated-in-favor-of-micro-usb
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB#Durability

I can't tell from your description why your cables are failing. I
don't think it's the cables as most of them are quite durable. The
connector is rated for 10,000 insertion/removal cycles. If you
plugged and unplugged your phone 4 times per day, that's 2,500 days or
6.8 years.

Would be interesting to learn how they estimated that reliability.
If you have a machine that properly aligns the connectors when
plugged, maybe.
When a human plugs it in, rips it out, uses the device while charging
so that the connector gets pulled, pushed, twisted, things can get loose
really fast.

I buy most of my devices used at garage sales. I've never had any
problems with mini-usb connections.
Virtually ALL acquired devices with micro-usb connectors are loose or
intermittent.
I've switched to add-on Qi charge adapters that stay connected permanently
and don't get stressed in use.

I occasionally see some problems caused by rubberized phone
"protectors". The charging connector doesn't quite fit through the
rubber case so the user applies brute force to complete the
connection. Sometimes the hole in the case is misaligned with the
phone connector or sometimes the molded plug on the cable is too large
to fit neatly in the hole in the case. If you suspect the case, you
might try a different one, with a larger opening for the charger
connector.

Another problem is arcing. The micro-USB connector system is made to
be hot pluggable/unpluggable. Unfortunately, some phones and chargers
have large capacitors across the output which can pit the gold plated
contacts. The chargers are suppose to start at a low current,
negotiate the maximum current, and then switch to the higher (2A)
charging current. Some cheap chargers go directly to 2A causing the
arcing. Some dirt and crud in the connector can produce a tiny arc.
The problem is that you have to tear the plug apart to see the damage
to the contacts. You might try that on one of your numerous failed
cables. If that seems to be the problem, which I think quite likely,
buy a different and better charger.

http://www.righto.com/2012/03/inside-cheap-phone-charger-and-why-you.html
http://www.righto.com/2012/10/a-dozen-usb-chargers-in-lab-apple-is.html