Posted to alt.home.repair

Default For all of you "second hand smoke" ninnies.

On Mon, 4 Jul 2016 12:48:08 -0400, Frank "frank wrote:

On 7/4/2016 12:06 PM, trader_4 wrote:
On Sunday, July 3, 2016 at 7:17:17 PM UTC-4, Ralph wrote:
On 7/3/2016 3:31 PM, trader_4 wrote:
I'm the radical? Good grief. I support the right of a group of people
to have cigar dinner in a restaurant. YOU are the one that wants to
control people, FORCE your ways on everyone. THAT is what libs do.

So the right of one person to stink up a room trumps 100 other people's right to clean air?
You're going to FORCE everyone else to breath your stinky cigar smoke?

Are you daft? If people choose to have a cigar dinner in a private room
at a restaurant, with it's own air system, they aren't stinking up anyone
else's clean air. I'm not forcing you to be in that room. Or a whole bar.
Most states, it's illegal to smoke in any bar. If I want to have a bar
for smokers, that's a basic right. How about I want to open a restaurant
that allows smoking. I'm not forcing you or anyone else to go there.
Everyone is free to chose my restaurant that allows smoking or other
restaurants that ban it. It's YOU who is doing the forcing, by
preventing me and others from engaging in what we want to do.

I'm a former smoker and know how tough it is to quit. I've known of
several smokers that died of lung cancer before their time, even a
professor on the surgeon general's committee that proclaimed that
smoking causes lung cancer. I talked to him for 20 minutes while he
smoked 4 Larks. Said he thought the charcoal filters took out some of
the carcinogens.

If someone smokes, that's their business and I don't believe that many
people are made ill by second hand smoke as toxicity is always dose related.

I can often tell there is someone smoking upwind even before I smell
the smoke - particularly if they are smoking menthols - because I all
of a sudden have difficulty breathing.. I don't go out into places I'm
likely to meet smokers without my Bricanyl inhaler in my pocket - just
to be safe. Sometimes it's just very irritating - other times it is
very debilitating.

OTOH smokers do not realize how badly they can smell to others. If I am
walking in the park and a car with a smoker in it passes me in the paths
along the road, I can often smell them. I would not let my smoker
mother smoke in my house but when she visited the closet where she hung
her coat would smell for a week.