Posted to alt.home.repair
FromTheRafters FromTheRafters is offline

Default For all of you "second hand smoke" ninnies.

After serious thinking trader_4 wrote :
On Sunday, July 3, 2016 at 11:40:02 PM UTC-4, FromTheRafters wrote:

See, this is why you're the village idiot. V = IR. Just because I is
zero, that doesn't make R zero. You really should have taken basic
algebra.

Of course not, current and resistance are *inversely proportional* when
voltage is held invariant. The extremes would be zero and infinity.

Irrelevant. Put zero in for I, you get V = 0. Again, please take a course
in algebra.

Ohm's law is a formula. As such I should be able to 'plug in' two
values for two of the variables and obtain the third by using one of
the other two equations.

You are now giving me V=0 and I=0 so now I should be able to determine
what the resistance is. The formula (using algebra) can be manipulated
to R=V/I for this purpose and then that equation solved for R. If I is
zero, it doesn't work.

Ohm's Law works for 'voltage drop' because 'voltage drop' *requires*
that there be (non-zero) current through a (non-zero) resistance. This
is the original point which started this discussion.

Again, you are trying to force division by zero, when no division by
zero is needed. V = IR, it's all multiplication.

Except by the *formula* for Ohm's law it can be stated that I and R are
inversely proportional for any given V. So, as 'I' goes toward zero 'R'
goes toward infinity. If 'I' *is* zero then 'R' *is* infinity and you
are attempting to multiply zero by infinity to get a non-non-zero 'V'.

This is like saying I have groups of apples in threes. If I select
X groups, how many apples do I then have in total.

T = N x 3 5 groups I have 15 apples total

You just pulled an 'N' and a 'T' out of your hat, and what happened to
'X'? Oh, I see, it shrunk and became a little 'x'. Are you trying to
come up with 3.141592 . . .?

Maybe you need an apple puree formula?

How many apples do I have with N=0? Equation gives 0, a valid number.

Of course, but you might have zero groups of 528 apples or zero groups
of 498745 apples or zero groups any number of apples to get the same
total number of apples. An equation makes no claims of the
relationships between the values.

Your answer, "You can't do that because you could transform that
equation into:

T/N = 3.

And OMG we're dividing by Zero!

I thought 'N' was five.

Maybe you need a nap?

The number of apples per group and the number of groups of apples and
the number of total apples in your example are not claiming to be a
formula, so the relationships between them is not important.

If on the other hand you claim that the number of apples per group is
inversely proportional to the number of groups of apples for any given
number of total apples then yes, because it is a formula when the
relationships are considered.

Why are you allowing me to troll you like this, are you some kind of
mathochist?

Good to see you admit you're a troll.

You're very rude to people here, so I thought you would like some
competition. If you can't take it, don't dish it out.

I just seek to expose ignorance
wherever I find it. And I especially dislike people who are ignorant
of basic algebra trying to tell degreed engineers, electrical inspectors,
how Ohm's Law and basic algebra work.

I take it that, as I predicted, you didn't understand the additive
group exponentiation explanation when it was presented. Did you even
bother to look at the videos I so kindly provided to you?

BTW did you do that graph of V = IR yet? Graph V versus I and tell us
what you get. It's a straight line that goes right through the origin.

The origin where 100=0/0, I have no need to graph it.

It's shocking how far the US has fallen in math and science.

Indeed!