Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default For all of you "second hand smoke" ninnies.

On Sunday, July 3, 2016 at 11:40:02 PM UTC-4, FromTheRafters wrote:

See, this is why you're the village idiot. V = IR. Just because I is
zero, that doesn't make R zero. You really should have taken basic algebra.

Of course not, current and resistance are *inversely proportional* when
voltage is held invariant. The extremes would be zero and infinity.

Irrelevant. Put zero in for I, you get V = 0. Again, please take a course
in algebra.

I have a 100 ohm resistor. With 0 current, Ohms LAw gives V = 0 x 100 = 0.

Ohm's law is a formula, there are three equations to consider. With the
resistance held invariant the equation is R=V/I and the current must be
non-zero.

The fact that manipulation of the one equation into various forms produces
one where you can divide by zero does not make the other forms of the equation
invalid, even if that variable is zero. Please take an algebra course.
You're forcing division by zero where there is no division by zero. The rest
of us know that a 100 ohm resistor is still a 100 ohm resistor with no
current flowing in it.

With 0 current through a resistance of 100 ohms, 0 voltage is produced.
What moron would ever think that somehow that resistor now has a value of
infinity? Good grief. I even suggested last time that you graph it,
voltage versus current. It's a straight line, right through the origin.

At the origin, the formula for R held invariant is R=V/I or 100=0/0 an
indeterminate form at best and undefined at worst.

Again, you are trying to force division by zero, when no division by
zero is needed. V = IR, it's all multiplication.

This is like saying I have groups of apples in threes. If I select
X groups, how many apples do I then have in total.

T = N x 3 5 groups I have 15 apples total

How many apples do I have with N=0? Equation gives 0, a valid number.

Your answer, "You can't do that because you could transform that
equation into:

T/N = 3.

And OMG we're dividing by Zero!

Why are you allowing me to troll you like this, are you some kind of
mathochist?

Good to see you admit you're a troll. I just seek to expose ignorance
wherever I find it. And I especially dislike people who are ignorant
of basic algebra trying to tell degreed engineers, electrical inspectors,
how Ohm's Law and basic algebra work.

BTW did you do that graph of V = IR yet? Graph V versus I and tell us
what you get. It's a straight line that goes right through the origin.
It's shocking how far the US has fallen in math and science.