Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Help with lead acid battery please

On Sun, 03 Jul 2016 12:32:21 -0500, Ignoramus7994

On 2016-07-01, wrote:
I bought a used forklift and the battery, even though only a couple
years old, was almost dead from sitting too long without being
charged. I got the lift to my shop and put a charger on it overnight.
All seemed well, the engine starts fast and all that. So a few days
later the propane ran out and the engine died. I got the propane tank
filled that day and installed it the next day, When I tried to start
the lift I realized I had left the ignition on overnight and the
battery was dead. Again. So I put the charger on again and even with
the switch in the 3 amp position the battery was drawing almost 15
amps. So a cell must have shorted out. Probably from sulfation. I
watched the charger carefully and the current dropped to 3 amps after
about 15 minutes so I figured the short must be gone. I left the
charger on the 3 amp setting overnight. The next morning the battery
was still drawing 3 amps. I then switched the charger to the 12 amp
setting and let the battery charge until the amperage draw was down to
about 6 amps. I then switched the charger back to the 3 amp setting
and after about 6 hours the draw is down to about 1 amp. I left the
battery on the charger overnight again and it is still drawing only
about 1 amp. All the cells bubble slightly while charging at the
higher current setting so I think they must all be charging. I have
checked the fluid level in all the cells and none are low. In fact,
they are all about the same level. After cranking the engine for about
60 seconds total in three tries the voltage of the battery is still
12.57 volts and during cranking didn't drop below 12 volts. The
battery is the typical industrial type, long and narrow, not almost
square like a car battery. After this long winded description I want
to know how long should I keep charging the battery at the 1 amp
level in order to remove as much sulfation as possible.
Thanks,
Eric

I think that you have a fine battery for forklift starting, just use
it and watch the water level.

That's exactly what I'm gonna do. Since the batteries are so spendy I
was hoping there was more I could do to extend the life of the battery
wityh what I have on hand. And not damage it any more than it is.
Eric