Posted to uk.d-i-y
Capitol Capitol is offline

Default Farage

T i m wrote:
On Sun, 03 Jul 2016 08:16:16 +0100, Chris wrote:

snip

OK, why do you think all those people were protesting? I would be
interested to hear what you think.

Just for the S&G's, try putting yourself on the other side for just a
moment and see if you can see what they might be seeing (seriously).

They were protesting because they didn't like the result, which was
that they lost the vote.

And that's it is it? That's what / all you actually think it was
about, that they 'didn't like the result'? No wonder the whole protest
thing confuses you. ;-(

'10's of thousands' protesting is still a
small number compared with the 1.3 million majority in favour of
leaving.

Irrelevant. Only a small proportion of those who may be affected /
concerned are ever likely to get up and protest about it (anything).

If the numbers were reversed and the 'Leave' campaign had won
by a similar majority, I'd have sighed, but I would have accepted it.

Funny that Farage wasn't going to though?

If Remain had one, fewer people would have been likely to complain
because the *risk* of continuing with the status quo and especially
as it goes along with all the advice given by those who know better
would have been seen as less. I'm guessing you are suggesting were are
(were) 'only' 5th on the highest GDP list because the EU were holding
us back?

For better or for worse, it's the way we do things in the UK, whether
referendums, local elections or general elections. People accept the
result, like it or not, and don't go marching in the street claiming
it was unfair or whatever and seeking to reverse the result.

They do if they consider that to be the case. And they do, lot's of
them.

The electorate isn't stupid.

Bwhahahaha (politically).

They know perfectly well that when it
comes to elections where politicians are involved, half-truths,
distortions,and promises that will never be honoured are the order of
the day.

Ok, then I'll take that back, for some of them at least. Those of us
who generally spoil our papers because we don't have much faith /
trust in 'the system' (but because of how it works, rarely will
anything really get though and if it does, we protest about it).

They expect nothing less. In the Referendum, people voted on
issues that effected them personally, such as immigration, where they
saw no solution by remaining in the EU, and it only getting worse.

So *you* think leaving the EU is going to 'fix' that do you Chris?
Assuming you are a level above the great unwashed on all this, if you
think that though is a valid and justified one, if you think it's
going to have the effect on immigration that the great unwashed think
it's going to have, then there really is no hope for any of us. ;-(

I've seen interviews where the interviewee have actually stated
(paraphrasing) that 'If we leave the EU it will not only stop
immigration but many will be sent back' and when the interviewer said
'Really?' they said 'well I hope so ...'? That is the logic many who
voted Leave were using and if it was explained to them that they were
wrong, and what the other 'costs' might be fir leaving and the NHS
wasn't going to get the £350m/w like they thought, they might well
vote differently.

They felt frustrated and impotent to do anything about it. So they
rejected the system that imposed it. Only time will tell if leaving
will improve the situation, but remaining certainly won't.

Quite, we could be cutting off our noses to spite our faces.

What if this magic immigration bullet turns out to be as much of a
blank as most experts predict and as most of the promises and deals we
have been presented with so far (as you say, not really unexpected),
what do we do then? We find we still have (and potentially 'need') as
many immigrants as we first had (all be it with some form of vetting)
but we have now broken all the established links on a huge range of
subjects that are going to take *years* to restore (to their current
financial and functional efficiency) and for what? Just so we can be
'Great Britain again (all be it without Scotland or NI and other
places possibly)?

Remember, it's not the actual outcome that is an issue for me (and
many others), it was the disgusting way something so important was
allowed to be presented to a populous that were ill equipped to make a
considered decision, one that would ever be likely to achieve their
personal goals and desires, let alone represent what all the Kingdoms
or their population (not the minority who voted one way or the other)
desired.

And then there was the margin. If I was asking for an opinion on
something that could have such far reaching and potentially damaging
results as making the wrong decision to: 'Should we leave the EU', *I*
wouldn't be willing to go ahead unless at least 2/3 rd's (or whatever
number many voting systems use) wanted the same thing. 50:50 (or close
to) isn't a 'decision', it's 'indecision', and that fact seems to be
agreed by the very person who was party to starting this whole
process, Farage (when it goes in his favour of course). And please
don't quote the numbers. 4% is still only 4% and (potentially) no way
reflects the opinion of the population as a whole.

Isn't it 'more likely' that those want 'change' would go out and vote
versus those who are happy with the status quo? Especially if said
felt it would be to our detriment to leave and therefore few would
vote that way?

To understand why the outcome may *now* considered to be the wrong one
is that only *now* are many people starting to comprehend the (and not
the full) consequences (and we have only just scratched the surface).

Cheers, T i m

p.s. If you are still only interested in the ~1.3M who formed the
majority who voted to Leave, please don't waste either of our time by
replying.

You are the one wasting time. Get back to diy.