Posted to comp.mobile.android,alt.home.repair
The Real Bev[_2_] The Real Bev[_2_] is offline

Default How to skip that stupid message

On 07/01/2016 07:38 PM, Micky wrote:
The Real Bev wrote:
On 06/30/2016 09:33 PM, Micky wrote:
wrote:

I think mine just says "This is Bev" so that actual
friends will know they haven't got a wrong number. My son's message
used to be "This is the machine; you know what to do."

I like that message. It's the contrast to the phone company telling us
we can hang up after we leave the message. Before they said that, I
used to just hold on until the person I called came home.

Funny, I used to do that too. I guess those instructions aren't a waste
of time after all.

Curses. It's becoming less and less painful to use "they" as the
third-person singular pronoun :-(

That is a problem. How do you feel about "he"?

I didn't have a problem with it until my consciousness was raised

My consciousness was raised for a while, but then it got tired and lay
down again. A little later, it fell asleep.

sometime back in the 90s :-) I really only care because I want to be
grammatically correct but I'm too lazy to write he/she or him/her
whenever it's called for.

Somewhere in school, high school or earlier, totally unrelated to him
and her, I got the strong impression that slashes shouldn't be used in
polite or formal writing. Even worse is reading such stuff aloud and
saying "slash".

Slashes and double hyphens are too useful to eliminate. Reading them
aloud is completely different, though.

(This might be related to people who say, not reading just talking,
"this is what the quote unquote instructions say." when it ought to
be " what the quote instructions unquote say".)

Or do air-quotes. When we can get free licenses to kill three people
per year I don't think those people would be on my hitlist, but maybe if
it was a slow year...

I think I move my finger to the top and slide it down to the
button. My silicone cover is day-glo green so it's easier to find
and harder to stuff into/slip out of a pocket.

This is a black phone that came with a black cover.

Mine is white (faux iPhone, I guess; only white was on sale) and white
gets dirty. While I'm a slob, I don't like to actually SEE grubby stuff.

I don't mind the black so much now that I know white or blue phones
are more expensive.

A woman had set up a begging station near the entrance to the mall
parking lot across the street. She was there for several days. Her
sign said that she had just found a job and needed money to buy suitable
clothes. She had a white phone. She was also blocking the sidewalk. I
finally told her that she was obviously a scammer, that if she really
needed the money she would have picked up the soda can lying 6 feet away
(worth a nickel and I collected enough cans on our daily bike rides to
buy a very nice [used] bicycle), she was blocking the sidewalk, and if
she was there the next day I was calling the cops.

Stuff like that, along with cables etc. should be ordered directly from
China rather than paying a local shop a 500% markup for the same stuff.

Indeed.

I've been happy with dx.com and most of the ebay sellers and am both
patient (takes maybe a month) and willing to risk small amounts of money.

Sort of related: I bought a $3.15 7-outlet USB hub with 7 switches and
7 lights from Amazon, and it said it would take 5 to 8 weeks, or
something like that, but it came at 4 weeks. It said I could track it
on UPS, but UPS still has no record of it, and it says nothing about
UPS on the padded envelope it came in.

We bought some Chinese button batteries from dx.com that took extra time
because they were shipped from Sweden. Go figure.

It's $5 now but will probably go down again. I didn't know USB wire
came so thin.

I found out that USB3 cables use twice as many wires as USB2 cables, so
I ordered some extension cables so we can easily plug USB3 devices into
the USB3 sockets on the back of the computers. 1 meter long, $3.64
each, free shipping.

--
Cheers, Bev
Nothing is so stupid that you can't find somebody who