Posted to alt.home.repair
Vic Smith Vic Smith is offline

Default Popular Science Or Popular Mechanics For Gift Subscr. ?

On Thu, 30 Jun 2016 18:07:26 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
wrote:

On Wednesday, June 29, 2016 at 1:48:26 PM UTC-4, Bob wrote:
Hi,

I would like to get my son a subscription to either Popular Science, or
perhaps Popular Mechanics.

I see that both are (still) publishing, but seem a lot thinner than I
remember them.

Might I please have your opinions as to which one is considered "better"
these days ? Why ?

Home fix-it-ups, would be his major interest.

e.g., which types of screws to use, where, etc. Replacing a door lock,
etc...

Thanks,
Bob

OK, I found the info on the book I used when I bought my first house.

Renovation: A Complete Guide, by Michael W. Litchfield

I had the first edition, published in 1983, but a 4th edition by the
same author came out in 2012 (hardcover) and 2013 (softcover).

Here is a link to the most recent edition:

https://www.amazon.com/Renovation-4t.../dp/1600854923

This is the one I made good use of.
No longer have it, but I kind of miss it. Of course there was no
internet back then.
https://www.amazon.com/Readers-Diges.../dp/0895770105