tweak

Default Why I don't have a plasma or LCD TV either

On 03 Feb 2004 23:20:15 GMT, (LASERandDVDfan)
wrote:

Win2k runs lots lighter on the system, freeing up system resources for
intensive apps

But what about on a system that runs too fast, making it unstable?

That's rich! Too fast. If a system is unstable because of too much
speed it's more likely a result of "hand grenade"
modification/tweeking. i.e. overclocking etc...

lso XP has all kinds of bugs regarding burning
duplicate media.

I had that problem. A registry mod fixed that problem for me, which disabled
auto-insert notification for the CD writer.

Besides, I don't rely on Roxio for CD writing. I rely on Nero.

Who said I use just Roxio? I have alot more in burning ware on my
drive than the big two.
Yes Nero does run smoother/more reliable vs Roxio but it's XP not the
software that has the copyguard protection feature.
The point I was trying to make was why hassle with a bell and whistle
laden OS that runs clunky and has to many undesirable features.
I generally use Roxio for burning just simple audio. Usually mp3 to
wav's. I have other ware I use that does a better job for video.
Experts would argue that Sony's single gun "Trinitron" tube is a poor
concept lacking in resolution and yielding poor color quality.

One such expert worked for Philips, which invented the invar shadow mask CRT
which competes against Trinitron. Makes you think, don't it?

Also, if Trinitron is so bad, then why is it used in all sorts of critical
applications over all others such as professional video, film production, NASA
mission control, and medical operations?

If you think the hardware alone is the determining factor when all the
above mentioned industries choose what to use you are truly naive.
For example a studio or station manager when procuring equipment for
the next fiscal year or upgrade etc... look for the best deal
financially.
They aren't techies and are seldom concerned with what the production
crews think would make ideal gear.
Sony is notorious for doing whatever it takes to get the supply
contracts for television etc...
I worked in the mid 80's as a videographer for an ABC affiliate,
covering collegiate sports mostly.
We used Ikegami's and loved them. Durable as a tank and the best video
image short of the Norelco studio units costing many times more.
When it came time for new cameras did we get new Iki's?
Hell no, the station manager made a deal with Sony and we got the very
crappy DX3's. Much poorer image and fragile as hell.
But the station manager got a house full of Sony product's and who
knows how much of a kickback?
And while I retired out of big budget film production some years back
I never did see one Sony monitor on any of the productions I worked
on. Don't doubt there are some that use 'em just never saw them
myself. (The favored brand I saw in most TV stations was Panasonic.
I did see a fair amount JVC as well and a bit of Proton commercial
grade.)
And as far as procurement for NASA and other government agencies since
when has the specs mattered?
God! if you think NASA uses Sony because they believe it to be the
best you're the one full of crap!
Better get out and get a little life experience, especially when it
comes to the workings in government agencies.
I would love to read your explanations on those points, which are likely to be
more bull****.

If you really want the best color in a consumer tv then Zenith still
produces a good set for the money and the later models have addressed
the issue of lack of sharpness which the older models fell down on.

Zenith I wouldn't touch with a ten-foot cattle prod.

I have Zenith 27 inch that has been going strong for 9 years with only
slight loss in image quality.
First off, Zenith never made decent sets since the 1990s. Now, their sets are
produced by their corporate parent: LG Electronics. They are better, but they
aren't great in comparison to other manufacturers. The repair shop I go to
almost always gets a Zenith in for repairs for one reason or another. One of
their biggest problems: too many frickin' surface mount parts at critical
locations which costs the customer in reliability and makes servicing a pain in
the ass.

Granted, but ALL brands of sets including Sony use cheap ass cases and
knobs. ALL polystyrene and the cheapest LDPE.
Don't be a Gorilla, cause I've seen alot of Sony with cracked cases
and broken knobs too.

Sony vcr's in a back room with one
problem or another. All were high end videophile models costing in the
5-700 dollar range and all exibited problems in either the audio
output stage or video input.

I've been using Sony VCRs for the longest.

All I've got to say is "no problems here."

I alsohave a box full of walkman's from various generations that all
crapped.

And do you seriously think Walkmans from any manufacturer are any good?

Yeah, Panasonic makes very good units for the price. I have a
Panasonic walkman going on 14 years ans still going strong.
Also a cd player that is going on 10 years now with NO problems.
The tape player cost around 24 bucks the cd player cost me about 49
bucks.
Can the same be said for your Sony?

But, I've got a Sony Walkman (WM-FX403) that ran daily for up to six years
non-stop before the pinch roller decided to give up the ghost. - Reinhart