Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Copper or PVC?

On Wed, 29 Jun 2016 11:47:12 -0000 (UTC), Doug Miller
wrote:

"Jim Wilkins" wrote in :

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
. ..
"james g. keegan jr." wrote in
:

PVC is acceptable up to 140F,

True

which is the hottest setting a water
heater should be at.

Utter nonsense.

http://inspectapedia.com/plumbing/Ho...ature_Laws.php

Like I said... utter nonsense. Quoting from that source:

"Water temperatures exceeding 124 degrees Fahrenheit (°F) (51 degrees Celsius (°C)) are
necessary to prevent the rapid growth of Legionella, the causative agent of Legionella
pneumonia (traditionally known as Legionnaires’ disease) in hot water systems."

I fully understand the need for scald prevention -- but that simply means that the water
delivered from the tap must not exceed 120 degrees F, which is easily achievable with anti-
scald mixing valves. The idea that the *water heater* must be limited to that temperature is
complete nonsense.

Mine is set at 140F IRRC

---