Posted to rec.woodworking
Keith nuttle Keith nuttle is offline

Default Gluing Broken MDF

On 6/28/2016 10:58 PM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 6/28/16 8:15 PM, Davoud wrote:
A neighbor is modifying the transom of a door to fit an opening. In the
process he broke the corner off the MDF bottom plate that the transom
windows rest on. Photograph at
http://primordial-light.com/mdf-transom.html.

Best glue to repair this break?

Many thanks!

MDF is sawdust and glue. Don't over-think it.
Use wood glue. If it's exterior, use a waterproof glue.

Don't pay attentions to all the wives' tales about over-pressure and all
that crap.
Just f'n glue it, sand it, paint it, have a beer and enjoy life.

It is surprising what you can glue together. Many years ago my
daughter broke the head board on her antique bed. She called an asked
what to do. I told her to collect all of the pieces and we would see
what could be done.

Like a puzzle I put all of the pieces back together and glued with
common wood glue. (I do not remember if it was titebond or Elmer wood
glue). Today she is sleeping in the bed every night, and it looks like
nothing happened to it.