tweak

Default Why I don't have a plasma or LCD TV either

On 03 Feb 2004 21:10:27 GMT, (LASERandDVDfan)
wrote:

You're probably refering to the 100 series of dbx(first gen slow
analog switches) that gave out the old swish and boom.
These units were designed to help boost the quality of LP's a bit.

That's changing the discussion.

I was using it as an example, and it does produce very good analog
hifi.
If you want really good audio off a vhs tape,Panasonic marketed a
digital audio recorder that did very good work for early digital.
Still my old Slipstream unit still produces excellent 24bit digital.
And you did bring up the point on how you though DBX was sucky.

The original point made about your Sanyo VCR is that rather aggressive
compression is used to achieve its ratings, particularly with signal-noise.
Digital audio achieves its high ratings without compression.

You have to spend a small fortune to get the equivalent in a digital
setup.

Bull****.

Oh really? Then what price range are we talking about?
And I don't want 16bit.
Granted you can build a PC up to do a good job as a studio in a
box.(In fact trying to do just that currently.) but you do have to
shell out some bucks for a commercial sound card and there are
limitations inherent in going that way.
OR you can shell out about 17,000 for an Avid system, and that's one
of their bottom end units. Nevr liked Avid though to propriatary and
they insist on Macs.
I've been trying to find a sound card setup that will interface with
most standard motherboards but most have to few imputs.
I found one card that had 16 input but cost just over 500 bucks.
And yes it was 24bit, this seems kinda pricey to me nd I'll think Ill
just wait.
I do have cakewalk pro audio 64 track software with 24bit audio codec
drivers and I have some software from soundforge.
But once again it's going to cost a pretty penny to get the mobo and
case to handle the hardware hookups.
So once again where can I find this not expensive digital setups?
that's why I'm hopeful of the DVD format, it promises a future of
24bit audio super dics. I have yet to see any on the market to date
though.

They are available. However, you have to look for them at larger scale record
stores, hi-fi shops, or electronics stores. They can also be ordered online.
- Reinhart

I live in a fairly large city and we have tower records as well as a
virgin superstore.
Didn't see any DVD audio discs the last time I went in.