Posted to alt.home.repair
Micky[_3_] Micky[_3_] is offline

Default What is this bug with tailhooks

I've been going au naturel so far this summer.

That is, no screens in the windows.

Last fall I had no insects at all in the house. It amazed me. But
this year there are a few. Almost all of them I like.

(One mosquito at most but I didn't get a good look. I don't get
bumps anyhow, and Zika hasn't made it to Baltimore yet.)

But today one was real scarey looking. I didn't recognize it but it
was pretty big and had two 3/4" long strands, one on either side on
the rear of the bug, looking like jet fighter tailhooks.

1) Anyone know what that is? and
2) Any truth to the idea that the scarey looking ones are less likely
to sting?

He was flying around the room for an hour and I don't know if he left
because he finally found the window again, or because rain was getting
near and he had to be home before it rained.