Posted to uk.d-i-y
NY NY is offline

Default [ot] best usb charging cable for phone?

"Stephen" wrote in message
Hello,

I am looking for a usb cable (usb A to micro usb B IIRC) to charge a
Samsung phone. One came with the phone but I'd like to replace it with
a longer one and I'd like a second to leave in the car.

I have bought different makes but they all fail after a while because
the metal micro USB plug becomes loose and waggles about in the
plastic moulding of the plug. The OEM plug is made of hard plastic and
does not suffer this problem (yet?).

Any recommendations for what cable will stand-up to repeated pluggings
and unpluggings?

I bought a couple of Anker cables (a short one for connecting to my portable
top-up battery and a longer one for my phone to connect to the mains charger
on the floor) and the short one is fine but the long one fairly quickly has
started making intermittent contact at the micro USB (phone) end: it needs
to be pressed sideways slightly (or at least prevented from sagging the
opposite way) in order for the phone (or any other device that it is plugged
into) to charge. I ought to get Amazon to replace it because I'm sure it's
still under warranty.

It seems to be charging pins only that are a problem; if I use it as a data
cable, the PC can still see the phone even if the phone says it's not
charging.