tweak

Default Why I don't have a plasma or LCD TV either

On 3 Feb 2004 04:15:06 -0800, (Alex Bird)
wrote:

tweak wrote in message . ..

It's a s-vhs machine with 4 channel stereo options.(instead of
tracking down video signal it can burn down four fm audio channels
with better specs than cd audio. 105 dbs dynamic range vs 90 for cd
and signal to noise and w&f unmeasurable.)

I'm sure it kicks ass, but those numbers are just what you say -
specs. The 105 number is almost certainly down to the aggressive
companding used in hi-fi sound on video. Similar numbers were touted
for dbx, which sounded awful, not that I'm saying your machine does.
Most cd players cannot reach that theoretical dynamic range, and
someone correct me if I'm wrong, but almost no speakers or analogue
tape recording can either.
There's the little matter of the head switching too...

You're probably refering to the 100 series of dbx(first gen slow
analog switches) that gave out the old swish and boom.
These units were designed to help boost the quality of LP's a bit.
Most users maxed out the expansion slides and of course the output
sounded like crap.
I'm talking about the later 200 and higher series as well as the type
one units used inrecording studios.
They had fixed compression and expansion and were used to improve
signal to noise and to preserve dynamic range. A good side effect was
lower distortion due to expanded head room and lower recording levels.
the type one units went one step beyond the old range riding units
used in studios to give more linear results with smoother frequency
response and totally eliminate the swish and hum effect with old
analog mixing consoles.
I have and old 224 unit for home use. 2:1 in 1:2 out.
I use it mostly to dub old DBX vinyl I get from time ot time.
My dbx unit have actually scoped out at around 115-20 dbs dynamic
range and yes an analog recording can achieve that.
I have an old Tanberg 15inch reel to reel that runs at 34ips.
Combined with the dbx it can record some pretty impressive thunder
with little or no measurable distortion.
Of course standard drivers can't stant that type of range.
I had the coils of the K15 woofers in my klipshorns rewrapped with low
oxygen heavy load copper and the cones were reinforced as well.
Still can't max it out but it produces such a sound level as to blow
out window panes if I choose to.(No I use common sense and keep the
volume level low. I use this setup for classical music something CD's
fall down on badly.)
Using this scheme, keeping the volume levels low and using high
dynamic range, I get some really excellent hifi.
The bass still comes in strong and robust and the highs are absolutely
transparent and sharp. Low levels mean no clipping and almost no
distortion and the transient response is smooth.
You have to spend a small fortune to get the equivalent in a digital
setup. I'm sure that someday soon digital user end will surpass this
type of analog setup in performance/price.
that's why I'm hopeful of the DVD format, it promises a future of
24bit audio super dics. I have yet to see any on the market to date
though.
Check on e-bay in the professional video/audio sections.
Great deals to be had.

I might do that...

Alex