Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default Fridge Runs Excessively

On Tuesday, June 28, 2016 at 7:55:02 AM UTC-4, Chet Kincaid wrote:

In general, I'd call for pro help IF there's a chance they can do something
that is worth doing on this machine. In the best of all scenarios, I'd
rather fix than replace.

IDK why you're so fixated on fixing. I'm no expert on fridges, but from
experience with them and other AC like systems, once you have symptoms
like this, it's usually big trouble. With a home central AC or a car,
it could be a Schrader valve, some Freon leaked out, it can be easily
and cost effectively fixed. But other than that, you're down to having
a leak or a bad compressor. If it's a leak, more likely it's a component
like the evaporator, than a leak in a line. But whatever it is, if you
have to call a pro, I see two general outcomes:

A - They diagnose it and its going to cost $400+ to fix.

B - They charge you $125 and tell you it's not worth fixing.

Is A worth it on a 20 year old fridge? If it's a $10K Viking fridge
I can see it. If it's a fridge you can get for $1000? And factor
in that a new fridge is probably going to save you maybe $50 a year
in operating cost, it will look brand new, have new features, etc.

I replaced the 25 year old one here a few years ago. It was still running
fine, but was looking dated and it also stuck out in front of the
cabinets. I started looking around, realized that they have counter
depth ones that are a bit taller, but hold the same capacity and fit
flush to the cabinets. So, I kept my eyes open, was in no hurry
and one day at Best Buy they had a stainless steel KitchenAid floor
model at half price. I got a $2800 fridge for $1400. I had to do
some work on the cabinets to get it to fit, but it was well worth
it. It's now flush, looks like a built-in. It also has crushed ice
and I have to say I like that a lot. Much better than cubes for
putting in glasses. It cools instantly, evenly, and you don't have
to deal with the cubes when you're drinking.