Posted to alt.home.repair
Micky[_3_] Micky[_3_] is offline

Default Fridge Runs Excessively

On Sun, 26 Jun 2016 04:40:43 -0700 (PDT), TimR
wrote:

On Saturday, June 25, 2016 at 6:58:12 PM UTC-4, David L. Martel wrote:
Chet,
Have you checked the door seals? What you describe could be caused by
leaking seals. Get out a dollar bill and check all around the doors.

Dave M.

Another vote for door seals. No way refrigerant is low if you're maintaining the freezer at that temperature. Door seals on a unit that old are almost guaranteed to be leaking.

Replacement is neither cheap nor easy, by the way.

Mine are 37 years old and not leaking afaict but I will try a dollar
bill. What should I do with the dollar bill?

About a foot of the seal is cracked opne on the side, but nothing has
fallen out and when the door is shut, it all compresses and I don't
think that crack means any air is getting out, or that it's conducting
warmth in. Can I use a kll-o-watt meter on something this big.

Yeah, the univeral replacement is over 100 iirc. A lot for a simple
piece of rubber and stuffing. Though I haven't checked very
thoroughly.