James Sweet

Default Why I don't have a plasma or LCD TV either

"tweak" wrote in message
On 2 Feb 2004 21:24:03 -0800, (Jeff Strieble)
wrote:

Well said. Most youngsters don't realize that in day gone by we had
just as much quality in our entertainment technology as we do today.
Yes digital does do better in many respects, exceptionally in visual
media. But it falls short in the audio department with 16 bit
technology just not living up to the quality of the better anaog hifi
gear, which can be gotten in thrift shops and second hand stores for
next to nothing.(If you ever listen to a stereo system that uses
valved amps you'll never pass a signal through a transistor again.)

That's very subjective, I've listened to a $10k tube (valve) amp and
honestly I can't say it sounded any better than my $150 Leach amp that I
built from someone else's abandoned project, or a number of other large
nicely made solid state amps. I guess I just don't have "golden ears" but
then at least I don't have to waste my money on all the other audiophoolery.
I've heard a number of relatively inexpensive tube amps as well, and they
generally have sounded either a bit distorted or just weren't very powerful.
Tubes have their place, and in some situations can provide a unique sound,
but I can't say I prefer them overall.

Some of the old analog VCR's do indeed have excellent sound, and believe me
I'll hang onto my 13 year old Sony HiFi's until they crumble, but I find
that having DVD players, I almost never turn on the VCR's. My only wish is
for one that's built like the old stuff, but then again it'd probably cost
$1500.