Posted to alt.home.repair,comp.sys.hp.hardware,sci.electronics.repair

Default Horizontal streaks HP LaserJet 3200m scans

On Mon, 27 Jun 2016 08:59:14 -0400, Mark F
wrote:

I can't find the start of this thread, but, the gist is that
an HP LaserJet 3200m scans show multiple streaks in what seems to be
the direction perpendicular to the movement of the page past the
line.

In other words, it appears that entire scan lines are dropped,
possibly related to mechanical motion.

If I remember correctly, the original poster has confirmed that
the streaks don't appear in a printout made from a file or old scan
without the problem. (The test was done to check for the unlikely
possibility that a problem on the print side was affecting the scan
side.)

My two suggestions a
1. Determine if the streaks appear when a white page is scanned

2. Determine if a line is being added. (I don't have a good test
for this. It would involve determining if something that was
supposed to be 10 scan lines apart was 11 scan lines apart, or
so such thing. Maybe scanning graph paper with a spacing of 0.1
inches or less would be measurable. Perhaps scanning something
with diagonal lines would show a glitch in the diagonal
line rather than just a horizontal line across the diagonal
line.

3. Try using VueScan from www.hamrick.com instead of the software
being used currently. I'm not sure VueScan supports the
device since the VueScan description says it supports
HP LaserJet 3200 and doesn't specify 3200m, but I think it
is worth a try.

Here is part of the earlier thread:
On Sun, 26 Jun 2016 08:50:44 -0400, wrote:

On Sat, 25 Jun 2016 23:09:21 -0500, Tony lizandtony at orcon dot net
dot nz wrote:

wrote:
On Sat, 25 Jun 2016 22:45:51 -0500, Tony lizandtony at orcon dot net
dot nz wrote:

Micky wrote:
On Sat, 25 Jun 2016 16:16:02 -0000 (UTC), "Emran M."
wrote:

On Sat, 25 Jun 2016 09:49:29 -0500, Ralph Phillips wrote:

Measure the distance between the streaks.

Using the downloadable service manual, or the "Print Quality" help page,
you can isolate which element is contributing to these streaks due to
how far apart they are (each of the rotating elements are a different
diameter, so their tell marks are different spacings apart.)

But the streaks are horizontal, while the rollers must (by nature)
be vertical???

I thought you put the 11" side first and notebook-sized paper moved 8
1/2 inches. So the rollers would be parallel to the 11" side.

I've read all your posts and they all seem to say that, except for
your conclusion that the rollers are vertical. I don't like either
horiz or vert, I don't know what they mean, but I do like parallel or
perpendicult to 11" side.

Does your owners manual have a troubleshooting section?
It is an A4, Letter and limited banner printer. that means that the short
edge
(8 1/2") of a sheet enters the printer so that edge is parallel to the
rollwers
in the printer.
Tony
Replace the cartridge/drum Assembly. From your clarification of terms
you have a defective or damaged image drum. I've seen likely a hundred
of them with that kind of problem (unable to see your image, but your
keyboard art tells the story)
His first post tells us that it only when scanning or copying, later posts
indicate (nearly but slightly unclearly) that it does not happen when printing
from a computer. That makes it a scanner engine problem, and rollers don't
cause scanner quality issues (only feed isues).
Tony

And scanner problems will only cause streaks in the direction of
paper flow in a sheet feed scanner - and then usually due to dirt on
the glass rod.

I believe I am the only poster who gave instructions based on
determining first if it is a printer or scanner issue.

NOWHERE that I can find has the OP clarified whether the lines show
up is simple prints. All I have found was in "copies" and "scans"

A 3200 is not a flatbed - so if there are lines in the scan, they will
be from something contaminating the scan head and will run the
"length" of the paper - in the direction of motion through the
scanner. There is no other scanner failure mode that will produce any
other pattern of lines.

If it is a PRINT error, there can be several patterns - with different
causes - and generally the same solution.

If the lines are the "lenth" of the paper and present on prints as
well as copies, there is a scratch in the drum - usually but not
alwats preceded by "spots". If they are the width of the paper and
evenly spaced by about the circumference of the drum, there is a
defect line across the drum USUALLY this is not as crisp or clean or
fine a line as the other possibilities. The solution to both PRINT
issues is to replace the drum/cartridge.

The solution tu the scanner problem is a carefull and thorough
cleaning of the scanner element (unless someone has scratched it by
running a staple through it)