Posted to alt.home.repair
tony944 tony944 is offline

Default Air Conditioning for Stand-Alone Garage

"Bob Simon" wrote in message

On Saturday, June 25, 2016 at 7:42:03 AM UTC-5, Unquestionably Confused
wrote:
3) Insulation is cheap and worthwhile from several aspects. It will
help sound proof the garage something that may not be critical depending
on the neighbors but OTOH could be a real "saver."

Sound proofing IS a good idea. Thanks!

4) Consider getting out the Sawz-all and frame in a space in a solid
wall to install that room sized AC unit. Almost every unit I've seen
can be disassembled to the point where the outer casing can be used as a
thru the wall sleeve, mounted security and then the guts reinstalled for
a more finished look. I've done this in several places including my own
shop which is in a large detached garage in the Chicago suburbs.

I like your framing suggestion a lot too. The wall is going to be opened up
in several places anyway to blow in foam.

6) important to consider sizing. Bigger is not necessarily better. You
need to calculate your cooling load based upon the average heat,
humidity and insulation factors for your specific application. If you
get a unit that is too big, you will achieve a rather quick cool down
which might seem to be just what you want. Unfortunately, the A/C will
not run long enough to dehumidify the air in the shop so you wind up
"cold and clammy" (sort of) and your tools will suffer for it as well.

Thanks for your thoughts. This kind of diversity of ideas is exactly why I
come here for advice.

Do not install Friedrich are you will be sorry!