Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair,comp.sys.hp.hardware

Default Horizontal streaks HP LaserJet 3200m scans

On Sat, 25 Jun 2016 20:06:46 -0000 (UTC), "Emran M."
wrote:

It's not dirty inside as far as I know what to look for.
In fact, it's pretty clean.

Hit the inside of the machine with some compressed air. Ummm...
remove the toner cartridge first. You'll be amazed at what can blow
out of insides. Also, turn it upside down to remove staples and paper
clips.

Here is a scan of a photo that was put in the slot long-side horizontal.
So the scan was vertical. http://i.cubeupload.com/dmSy3Y.jpg

I think that means that your landscape photo moved through the
mechanism lengthwise, or from left to right. Is that correct? I'm
not sure because the landscape photo shows white lines perpendicular
to the stylized lines shown in your original posting. Perhaps it
might be better if you abandon the landscape scan and switch to a more
consistent portrait scan? Extra credit for annotating the JPG to
highlight the problem.

Notice that the scan was from the top to the bottom of this picture
(from head to toe) but the "scratch" lines are from side to side (which
is not the direction that the paper moved).

There isn't any moving object side to side, is there?

(The horizontal scratches are not in the original photo!)

I thought it was the horizontal white scratches that you wanted to
eliminated. I don't see any scratches perpendicular to the white
scratches.

However, if it is the white scratches that are the problem, the answer
is obvious. You have some dirt, white out, toner, or label glue stuck
to the document scanner window. In the service manual:

Go thee unto Pg 226. That's the document scanner assembly on the
front lid (behind the keyboard). The should be a narrow glass window
in the document scanner somewhere. It's usually about 1/4" x 8.5" and
runs along the width of the page. I can't find it in the various
exploded views, but it has to be there. My guess(tm) is that it's
covered with speckles of dirt, crud, dust, white-out, glue, etc. Clean
it and the white streaks should disappear on the scans. Just follow
the paper path during scanning. It should be somewhere along the
path.

Another possible cause is that you have light leaking into the
document scanner assembly causing the white streaks. I can't tell
from here where it might be leaking in. Try a scan with the room
lights turned off, or with a cardboard box over the 3200m, and see if
the streaks disappear.

Good luck.

--
Jeff Liebermann