Posted to alt.home.repair
HerHusband HerHusband is offline

Default Door Sizes in an Old House

We are remodeling an old house we own and want to replace the cheap
looking (and largely damaged) doors with some 6 panel doors from Home
Depot. One door is 25 5/8 wide and Home Depot doesn't stock a 26" door
that could be trimmed to fit this one silly opening. If I special
order one, it will take weeks and be super expensive. But it is pretty
clear that there isn't enough "meat" on either side of a standard 28"
door to trim it down to our size. What's my best bet here?

Did you get an actual quote on the special order doors?

I had to special order some doors for our house (from Lowes). The price
difference was minimal and ours were ready to pick up in a couple weeks.

Most retail doors are modular anyway and can be customized quickly to any
size you need. The stores stock the most popular sizes, but other sizes are
generally in the same price range.

Anthony Watson
www.watsondiy.com
www.mountainsoftware.com