Posted to alt.home.repair
Micky[_3_] Micky[_3_] is offline

Default breaking up concrete (or cement?) with a sledgehammer.

On Wed, 22 Jun 2016 10:20:56 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
wrote:

On Tuesday, June 21, 2016 at 11:29:07 AM UTC-4, Vic Smith wrote:
On Tue, 21 Jun 2016 08:31:54 -0400, "Mayayana"
wrote:

| I'd like to borrow a 20-pound sledgehammer
| We're going to attempt some DIY concrete removal.
|
| How much in square feet of a sidewalk could a healthy but not
| especially strong man break up, before it would be essential to rent
| an electric jack hammer.

I think it all depends on the concrete. It
can vary a great deal. You'll just have to try
it and see.

A plumber brought a compressor and a heavy jackhammer
to my former brick 2 -flat to go after the basement floor drain.
Ran the heavy hose from the compressor parked in the alley.
Lifted the jackhammer and set the chisel to the floor.
It went right through the floor before he could pull the trigger.
It was a dry mix floor, where they just lay down the concrete mix.
water it with a hose, and finish it.
Sidewalks are tougher.

I had to expose a in-slab drain in order to move a basement shower. I tried
to open the slab with a big sledge, then with a small sledge and cold chisel.
No way! When I mentioned my problem to a neighbor, he said a very wise thing:

"If you're working too hard, you're probably using the wrong tool."

The next day he brought home an electric jackhammer from work. I had it
back to him a couple of hours later. It was sweet!

That's the neighbor to have. And it sounds like he works in the place
I'd want my n'bor to work. My n'bor has an old pickup truck and a
nice car. When he moved in, my first selfish thought was, Hey, maybe
I can borrow the truck. But he got mad at me for some reason,
woudn't tell me why, wouldn't say yes or no when I guessed, and he's
not lendin' me nuttin.