Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob Simon[_2_] Bob Simon[_2_] is offline

Default Air Conditioning for Stand-Alone Garage

On Friday, June 24, 2016 at 7:17:02 PM UTC-5, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 6/24/2016 4:53 PM, Bob Simon wrote:
(Ive tried to upload this message several times so if any others appear, please respond to this thread and Ill delete the others..)

Im going to buy a house next month and the building inspections were yesterday. There's a separate garage that I want to make into a workshop and music practice area. Theres no insulation in the garage attic so the guy said the walls probably dont have any either. He said it would be an easy matter to blow foam in the attic but holes would have to be cut in the walls to insulate them. Im considering doing both. Do you agree that I should? Do you have any idea what this would typically cost?

The inside of the garage is 4400 cu feet. If it's sunny and 95 degrees outside, how many BTUs of cooling are needed to make it comfortable inside the garage in a reasonable amount of time?

The garage has power but not 220V at this time. Will I need that?

The cooling season here in New Orleans is around 9 months. Over 20 years, will the extra cost of a compressor and air handler pay for itself in reduced operating costs compared to a window unit?

Any other thoughts on this project?

I've tried to reply to your message several times. Please let me know if
this comes through.

--
.
Christopher A. Young

I got your three replies. Thanks for your recommendation to insulate. There is a big door next to the alley for cars plus a regular-size door for people on the house side. Since we're not going to use the garage for cars, I think we'll rarely open the big door.

I don't know how many amps go to the garage. One or more 15A circuits from the main panel go to another box. From there the wires go via buried conduit to the garage. If I need more power, I presume the additional wires can be pulled through the existing conduit.

All my old messages finally made it. Some more may still arrive later. It's odd that it took 24 hours for the first one to show up.