Posted to uk.d-i-y
NY NY is offline

Default Wheelie bin style

"dennis@home" wrote in message
web.com...
On 22/06/2016 12:46, James Wilkinson wrote:

You have to pay for your bins. You have to bundle up cardboard. No,
that's not a good system. Here we have three bins plus a box plus a
tub. 5 free things collected regularly.

That's quite poor, we have mixed recycling here, you throw any dry
recyclables in a one bin and they sort it by machine.

Food goes in another
garden waste in another
and whats left in the bin,
All emptied weekly thanks to Dave who pays a bribe to councils that do
weekly collections

Here in Ryedale:

- general waste emptied fortnightly
- recycling emptied fortnightly, on alternate weeks to general

Recycling consists of:

- crate for tin cans
- crate for glass
- "bag for life" size "plastic hessian" bag for paper/card
- wheelie bin for garden waste - but only if you pay for it to be collected,
which we don't

The crates are larger than they need to be. The paper/cardboard bag is far
too small: a lot of time is taken ripping boxes into small pieces to flatten
them and fit them into the bag, and even then most weeks it is bulging. Some
weeks I can't fit everything in and have to leave some in the alley to be
collected a fortnight later.

The brown garden waste bin used to be collected for free (ie included in
council tax) but now you have to pay extra. We tend to produce three or four
dustbins of waste on relatively few occasions, so it's better to take it all
to the tip myself for just the cost of driving there, rather than paying
through the nose for a service that can't take it all on one occasion so
we'd need to keep it for a long time, drip-feeding it into the brown bin,
one wheelie bin full at a time.

Rubble costs several pounds per sack to dispose of at the tip (that's after
driving it there myself, and for the privilege of emptying it into their
skip. They actually say that people should make their own private
arrangement with someone local who may want rubble - I don't know whether
they envisage everyone phoning round all the farmers "do you need any rubble
to fill in potholes in your farm tracks" :-) Utter lunacy. Just before
they introduced the charge I went mad filling as many bags as possible with
stones that we had dug out of our garden (sheets of sandstone in the
topsoil), and took my regulation one car load per month to the tip - except
that I went to four different tips in the area so I managed to take four car
loads per month :-)