Jason D.

Default Why Won't a Frozen Battery Start a Vehicle.

On Thu, 29 Jan 2004 19:36:57 -0700, "Denny B"
wrote:

A battery that is perfectly good why when it is -30C
won't it start a vehicle.

Snip

The cold is doing something to the battery What Is That
Something?
Well informed auto mechanics please step up to the plate!

I do not need to start my vehicle my spare battery connected
in parallel with the frozen battery does that.

If your frozen battery won't start your vehicle and you remove
it and take it indoors and let it heat up to house temperature,
after reinstall it on the vehicle' it will then start the vehicle.

What is happening to the battery internally at -30C?

Denny B

Most chemical action slows down as temp decreases. But a bad or
discharged lead-acid battery has taken up most of acid so there much
water and will freeze and ruin the battery.

But a well maintained old diesel car with quality 3 year old battery
will still start in -30C. That why tune ups, using thinner oil for
cold temps, keeping major electical connections clean (grounds, ground
straps, power wires etc), charging system working, good gas and
injectors (or glow plugs) in good order helps to keep battery's.
Ditto to cooling system & working thermostat. All this helps car's
battery life longer in turn a reliable car.

I had dramatic actually violent action with oxiclean when I dumped a
teaspoonful of that powder into hot water was just poured from kettle.
Grew a big foam head and ruined pig-hair brush into floppy condition
like spragehetti. Do same with ice-cold water, oxiclean barely fizz.

Oxiclean is great stuff to destink & degrease cat-sprayed tv parts.
Did this to save a nice JVC 32" set.

Cheers,

Wizard