Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default STI problems

wrote in message
On Tue, 21 Jun 2016 16:15:28 -0700, "Bob La Londe"
wrote:

wrote in message
. ..

I have eliminated
everything else and it is the crappy inserts that are the problem.

Actually it is the customer that is the problem. In order to save a few
cents per unit they have **** on your labor. If the customer wants to
provide an inferior and inconsistent part then they need to accept the
work
that results. What you need to do is find a way to get the customer to
use
quality parts. If you have to work harder and make less something just
isn't right in order to save them money.

If you do not feel a negotiation with the customer would be successful
would
it be easier to just resell the crap they provide on Ebay and use a better
quality part? Sounds like it might not make you as much money as if they
provided a quality part, but atleast you wouldn't be fighting every one.
You might make more than using the crap parts.

Greetings Bob,
The customer is trying to supply good inserts. This is not the first
time we have had problems. He is losing money when welded in parts
need to be cut out of hulls and new ones welded in. I lose money
dealing with inconsistent inserts. If he needs to spend more money on
inserts he will. The same suppier used to provide good inserts but
lately there have been problems. So my customer isn't the problem and
he hasn't **** on me. We are both trying to make good parts and if it
means more money spent on different inserts that will happen. It sucks
to buy 2000 inserts from a different supplier and then find out they
are bad too. What I want is help solving this problem so that I and my
customer can go back to making good money by making and selling good
parts. Do you have any experience with screw thread inserts from
different makers? Can you give me helpful advice? If not then maybe
you should not offer any opinions.
Eric

Before I start offering helpful advice. I have as much right to speak about
something you posted publicly as anybody else. You are the one that said
the customer provided bad inserts. Maybe you should have thought before you
chose the arrangement of words that you did.

Actually I have dealt with different brands and types of inserts, although
not in such quantities. I have a few packs of Re-Coils in my inserts
drawers now. They look and act just like the ones I got from Harbor
Freight. Maybe you were fortunate enough to have some Re-Coil brand that
were better at one time, but I have never fealt Re-Coils were as good as the
old Heli-Coil brand inserts. I still have a bunch of those for my most
common sizes so I have not had to delve into the drawers of Re-Coils or
Harbor Freight inserts for some time.

I have seen it claimed that the Heli-Coil and Re-Coils taps are the same,
but you might want to double check that.

I don't have an answer to all of your problems with the break off tools, but
you can solve part of that by making your own with some drill rod.