Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] hubops@ccanoemail.ca is offline

Default breaking up concrete (or cement?) with a sledgehammer.

On Tue, 21 Jun 2016 05:26:28 -0400, Micky
wrote:

An sort-of acquaintance posts:

I'd like to borrow a 20-pound sledgehammer
We're going to attempt some DIY concrete removal.

How much in square feet of a sidewalk could a healthy but not
especially strong man break up, before it would be essential to rent
an electric jack hammer.

Would a sledge work at all for this? Is their sidewalk or driveway
likely to be concrete, or cement?

OTOH, I tried an electric jack hammer once and I was tired literally
within 30 seconds iirc, but I was 67 years old and not in great shape.
This man is probably 30 or 35. I did break up about 2 square feet
in those 20 seconds. The contractor had started that portion so
there was room for my part to separate, if that is ever a problem. ??

So if one has to rest 4 minutes out of every 5, how much could he get
done with the EJH before he's totally pooped?

Is there a 3rd way?

Should I try to discourage them -- husband, but wife is posting --
from using the sledgehammer, or is the electric jack hammer even less
practical for them?

And why does Home Depot call them "breakers" now, and not jack
hammers.

If you are worried about the work involved with just breaking it up -
you haven't thought about disposal yet ...
If you're hiring a man + machine to load & haul away - get him to
break it up with the machine ... bigger pieces & less handling &
time. Old home-poured concrete can be tough - full of stone and
extra thick ...
John T