Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Sterling prices.

On 21/06/16 09:37, Nightjar wrote:
On 20-Jun-16 6:33 PM, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
On 20/06/16 18:24, Nightjar wrote:
On 20-Jun-16 11:24 AM, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
On 20/06/16 10:44, Nightjar wrote:
On 20-Jun-16 9:42 AM, Tim Streater wrote:
In article , Nightjar
wrote:

On 19-Jun-16 7:31 PM, Tim Streater wrote:
In article ,
Nightjar
wrote:

On 18-Jun-16 9:49 AM, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
On 18/06/16 09:29, Nightjar wrote:

A country with a highly educated and skilled workforce, right
next
door
to the second biggest market in the world, that doesn't have to
comply
with all the EU bull****?

Except, of course, if we want to sell into that market, we will
still
have to comply with the EU regulations.

Yeah, we know this. That particular point has been made about a
billyun
times on this ng the last few weeks. Or have you only just noticed?

Perhaps you should be addressing your comments to TNP. It is he who
does not seem to have got the message.

No, it's the Remainers you're thinking of. They are the ones who keep
saying that to sell into the EU, the UK would have to comply with all
EU regulations, so gosh, there's no point in Leaving, as we'd be
having
to comply while having no say as to those regulations.

Which is mostly rubbish: those exporters selling into the EU would
have
to comply with EU regulations concerning those products sold into the
EU. That's all, and it would be the same whichever foreign market we
sold into.

The context of his post was that we would be attractive to
investment as
we were next door to the second biggest market in the world, but not
bound by its regulations. He can't have it both ways. Either it is
irrelevant that we would be next door to the EU, or, if it is
relevant,
we would need to be bound by its regulations.

That depends entirely on WHICH regulations.

Products naturally have to meet EU regulations, but we certainly don't
have to comply with EU regulations of huge swathes of expensive
'social'
and 'workplace' legislation.

People don't build factories in France because of its insane labour
laws. Ours are more sane, but still pretty stupid.

There is room to simply get rid of huge swathes of restrictive
practices
and start again with a different sort of 'social contract'

Given the massive amount of work that would be required to repeal all
the legislation that results from EU Directives and Regulations and
replace them with home grown legislation, all while negotiating our exit
from the EU, the simplest option would be an all-inclusive Act that
simply passed all the EU derived legislation into UK law as it stands.

That already exists where Directives are concerned.

The enabling legislation refers to the Directives, so would need to be
modified.

Regulations would case to be enforceable.

As many of the EU Regulations replaced existing UK Regulations, it would
be necessary either to issue new regulations or, as I said, to pass all
EU Regulations into UK law as if they had been generated at Westminster.
The latter would be much quicker and more practical.

And my guess is that unless specific problems arose, no one would
enforce them or pass new law.

It would be like suddenly having speed limits vanish. The signs would be
there, but the legislation would not.

My guess is that most people would not exceed them by much.

And the few that did could be done for dangerous driving.

One effect would be that all food hygiene rules would disappear.
Considering that many people are done each year for breaches of the
existing rules, my guess is that it would become open season.

"unless specific problems arose, no one would enforce them or pass new law."

That is a clear case where 'OK, we need some standards' is a specific
problem.

One nation - I think it was sweden, - rebooted their government. Faced
with huge debts and an out of control public sector they conceptually
fired the lot and then said 'what can we absolutely not do without'

It's a bit like when Windows gets slower and slower. You reinstall it
with only what you need, (and it starts gathering cruft all over again).

Of course the problem is that our incumbent government cant admit that
there is a deep financial crisis, because they (a) were largely to blame
(Labour) and (b) Have utterly failed to address it (coalition/Tories)
because they are scared of the political backlash if they DO go for the
cuts that are really needed. and (c) membership of the EU imposes
restrictions on what can be done over and above that.

That's one of the reason why I personally want to see a brexit, its a
good opportunity to reboot government an only put back the 'have to
haves' and get rid of the 'nice to haves' not because we are nasty, but
because we are in a massive and endemic financial crisis, made even
worse by an immigration crisis and no one currently wants to admit it.

Europe is going to crash. With or without the EU, and the biggest thing
standing in the way of fixing it is the EU.

Its jolly good at making sure poodles get stroked, but its totally
incompetent at financial management and technical infrastructure
deployment and has no idea of how to take tough decisions with respect
to border controls and mass migration.

--
€œIt is hard to imagine a more stupid decision or more dangerous way of
who pay no price for being wrong.€

Thomas Sowell