Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default Wheelie bin style

"James Wilkinson" wrote in message
news
On Tue, 21 Jun 2016 00:09:54 +0100, Rod Speed
wrote:

"Tim+" wrote in message
James Wilkinson wrote:
A neighbouring council has wheelie bins that look like this, but I've
never seen them anywhere else. What is the hood for?
https://www.dropbox.com/s/qpzkw50rday7lsz/bin.jpg?dl=0

It's to enable the bin to be picked up from the roadside completely
mechanically (if it's close enough to the road) without manual
intervention. The lorry just pulls up alongside and a mechanical arm
controlled from the cab does all the work.

Ours have always been emptied like that and dont have anything like
that.
They look like this.
http://www.cusack.co.uk/Catalogue/Ja...240-Ltr-B15618

The bigger "canopy" makes alignment less critical.

Doesnt explain why the other type works fine.

Yours are almost identical to ours. But ours are taken to the back of the
lorry by the binmen, then they press a button for the lorry to lift hem.
Too much street parking round here to allow fully mechanised.

Yeah, that's what I meant, he's wrong about that difference
with that bin being to allow mechanised pickup.