Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
Wade Garrett Wade Garrett is offline

Default Difference between P225x75R15 and P235x75R15 on SUV

On 6/19/16 7:44 PM, Henning Schröder wrote:
I'm on Tire Rack and need to make a choice to help a friend.
What's the *practical* difference of 10mm wider tread?

1. This SUV is a dozen years old & has never been off road
2. This SUV is used like a car & never carries a heavy load
3. What matters to the owner is economy & safety

From the standpoint of economy (e.g., miles per tire), I don't
know if a 10mm wider tire will last longer or shorter. Do you?

From safety, I "guess" that 10mm more of tread width is safer,
but the driver is a little old lady (literally) in a no-snow
state, so, traction isn't really a problem.

Any idea what's best?

Stock OEM is 225x75R15
Current tires are 235x75R15 but I'm replacing all four.

What difference (practically) does 10mm make?

Use the manufacturer-recommended OEM size. Check the door sticker,
owner's manual, or call the car dealer.

The vehicle is 12 yeas old, plus you didn't say if the LOL was the
original owner. So the current tires are unlikely the original ones and
may not be the OEM size

--
With all this €śgun control€ť talk, I havent heard one politician say how
they plan to take guns away from criminals and terrorists€” just from law