Andy Dingley

Default How do I charge a battery.....?

On 5 Dec 2003 09:28:18 GMT, wrote:

I have a spare 12V 50Ah maintenance free battery. Actually, it's off
my mobiility scooter. One was ok the other went bad so I replaced them both.

But you can use an 'intelligent' charger like some of the ones that
Gunsons make.

"Maintenance Free" on a car battery isn't the same as a maintenance
free traction battery on a scooter. The charge voltage is different,
and you'll kill it.

You could use a charger for the tiny sealed lead acids in burglar
alarms (and wait a year), you can build / adjust one, or you can buy
one - over-priced that they are.

Talk to the battery maker for the correct voltage specs, and read any
basic DIY electronics book from Maplin on how to build a suitable
circuit. Easiest way is probably to buy a charger from Halfords
(using the case, transformer and rectifiers) and make a new or adjust
the old regulator.