Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ratty[_2_] Ratty[_2_] is offline

Default Trade agreements

"bert" wrote in message
In article , Ratty
writes

On 19/06/16 10:08, Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , tim...
writes

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
tim... wrote:

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
tim... wrote:
We will use standard WTO rules until we can negotiate something
better.

We will almost certainly, unilaterally remove import tariffs from
stuff that we "need" to import, such as food!

If the UK is outside the EU, what do you mean by unilaterally? In
contravention of WTO rules?

WTO rules allow you to apply tariffs (to imports), they don't
mandate it.

Currently we apply tariffs to food from ROW because the EU requires
us
to do so to protect the vested interests of inefficient EU farmers.
Including our own, as it happens.

If we left the EU we would have no need to be protectionist and
would
(probably) remove all tariffs from imported foodstuffs, even if the
other countries that we import from did not reciprocate.

Think you'd find our farmers up in arms if you allowed all and any
food
imports from the very cheapest source. But perhaps that's what you
want?

Our framers can't compete without subsidies even with import tariffs

the solution to the farming problem is to continue with subsidies
(hopefully better targeted)

Oi! The subsidy is meant to compensate for *income foregone* due to
meeting the gold plated rules on environmental issues. Apart from the
raft of limitations on not spreading manures near waterways, cutting
hedges during nesting season, no cropping within 2m of hedge centres
and
numerous other *cross compliance* actions, 30% of the *subsidy* is
withheld by the UK Govt. to be allocated for *Green activities* SSIs
and
the like.

Farmers seem to believe that an exit will bring an end to this nit
picking rural management. I think they are mistaken:-(

UKIP have a very good Farming minister - he is a farmer - and his view
is that post Brexit a UKIP government or coalition would change nothing
except the fishing rights, and start on some long earnest chats with
farmers and environmentalists about which way to go.

They clearly wouldnt get the immense subsidies that the EU currently
provides, and that amounts to HALF their total income currently.

And where does the EU get the money to pay those subsidies?
Snip

Irrelevant to how that sector would be affected.